Click on the specific state to find out about licensure for that state. The following map also indicates which states have enacted the RN and LPN/VN Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC).

Nursing and Allied Health Professional Licensure:

Each state has its own laws that govern the way in which licensure is achieved. MedForce has developed a guide to assist in obtaining information necessary to become licensed in any state in which the healthcare professional wishes to practice for both Nursing and Allied Health professionals. The information serves as a guide, but you will need to use the info we provide to directly contact the appropriate state board in order to obtain the latest and most accurate requirements. MedForce can walk you through the process and assist step by step if needed. MedForce does reimburse the cost of licensure once the license has been granted.

Canadian Nurses and Allied Health Professionals must have a VISA SCREEN to work in the US. In order to obtain a VISA SCREEN, you must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Information about how to obtain the Visa Screen can be found at In addition to the Visa Screen, the employer must issue a letter stating the individual will work in the U.S.

Nurses - Compact Licensure

Over twenty states are now part of the Nursing Licensure Compact- see shaded map above. In order to hold a compact license, the nurse’s permanent address must be in a state that is a member of the compact. The license must be designated as having the multistate privilege. Once a nurse holds a compact license, all licenses held in other compact states must be surrendered. A nurse may only hold one compact license and that must be in the state that in which the nurse claims permanent residency. For more info go to:

Helpful Hints:

  •  Most all states now offer online renewal of a licensure. Follow the link to the website of the State Board and check their online services.
  •  All fees are subject to change. Please contact the Board directly to learn the exact fee required and/or check the application link for more information.
  •  Apply as soon as you know where you are going. Some states take little time to process a temporary work permit and some take up to 6 weeks.

It is very important that you read the endorsement application thoroughly and submit everything the Board requests. The majority of delays in receiving a license are due to missing or incomplete paperwork. Feel free to call our credentialing team at 877-691-4MED (4633).